Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Butterfly in the Sky...

...if you're humming a certain theme song based on my blog title, then we're probably on the same page (ha! See what I did there?).

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a children's book author (true!). I also wanted my book featured on TV as part of Reading Rainbow.

Reading Rainbow was a PBS show hosted by the amazing LeVar Burton. Every episode, he would be walking around, talking in his soothing voice about some sort of theme (for some reason, I particularly remember one where he was in San Francisco). Then there would be two picture books read aloud, usually by a celebrity. The screen would pan across the illustrations (sometimes, I think, they were even slightly animated). Basically, like a visual audio book.

At the very end of the show, there would be three book reviews...given by kids. It was awesome. But then again, you don't have to take my word for it...actually, unless you've seen it, you do. The show's been off the air for a while.

I would get really excited when I owned a book that was featured on the show because this would mean I could play one of my favorite games: read the book aloud as it was done on Reading Rainbow.

I was a huge dork.

When I was in college, the creator of Reading Rainbow, Twila Liggett, came to speak at one of my classes. I kid you not, I was starstruck.

I was a huge dork.

Now that I'm a little older, I wonder what the logistics of getting a book on that show were. Was it done through the publishing house's marketing department? Was it sought out by the producers of Reading Rainbow? If anyone has any idea, I would love to know.

Oh, and this whole blog post was brought about because my friend, Jenny, forwarded me this link: http://thereadingrainbowflashmob.com/. Apparently, this Reading Rainbow flash mob movement would involve singing the Reading Rainbow theme song with LeVar Burton and I think I even read something somewhere about choreography. Um, yes. Sign me up.

I am a huge dork.

3 comments:

  1. RR still lives on with a whole bunch of clips on youtube. I never watched Star Trek, but the RR episode I remember most was LeVar walking around the Enterprise and showing how Scotty can "beam you up".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooved Reading Rainbow! Fantastic show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That brings back memories… nice post.

    ReplyDelete