Thursday, January 5, 2012

It's Finally 2012!

I was really starting to think 2012 was a fantasy year: the kind filled with unicorns, centaurs and a magical, mystical being known as Lady Gaga. In fact, when I was renaming the latest draft of my WIP last week, I actually wrote: "1.1.13" by accident. Even my subconscious thought we were skipping over this year altogether.

It turns out: I was wrong! It's a real, live year. The clock struck midnight 5 days ago and it finally became this number I've had in my head for so long.

As for my New Year's resolution, it's pretty simple: be bolder and braver. In three and a half months my book goes out into the world (wow) and I know that's going to be a completely new and unexpected experience. How can something I've been anticipating for almost two years be unexpected, you might ask? Well, if there's one thing I've learned from the publication process it's that there are really nothing but surprises all along the way. Peter Jackson could make a movie about it: Getting Published: An Unexpected Journey.

As thrilling as finally having my book out there is, I know it also comes with the frightening thought that I will literally be putting a piece of me out there. For all to see. As a lifelong writer who has also been pretty private and guarded about my work, this is bound to be somewhat jarring.

Regardless, I'm determined to go into the unknown with courage, optimism and gratitude--no matter what has happened or will happen along the way, I get to realize a huge dream and that's nothing to sneer at.

Happy 2012 everyone! I'm so excited for this new beginning for all of us. What are some of your resolutions?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Peter Jackson's interpretation has hobbits in it, you know I'm down!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 2012!!! It's going to be a fantastic year!!

    My resolution is to try not to lose my temper quite so easily....we'll see how well that works :-P

    ReplyDelete