Tuesday, June 12, 2012

5 Events in 5 Days: A Recap

I live in New York, but I've never attended BEA before nor have I participated in any sort of ancillary activity even. Last week was something we call "diving into the deep end." From Sunday to Thursday, I had 5 events in 5 days! This means I skipped the gym and ate pretty poorly, but, let's face it -- it was all worth it.

Here is a little recap of what might be my craziest book-related week yet.

Sunday: Book Revue
Book Revue is one of the country's largest independent bookstores. It also happens to be in my hometown of Huntington, NY so I grew up with it.

My favorite part: seeing friends and teachers from high school I hadn't seen in a while and getting to visit a childhood haunt "on the other side of the podium."


This photo also definitely made me realize that I make a lot of exaggerated faces when I read aloud. I blame all those years of being in the ensemble of the school plays.

Monday: Bank Street Books
Bank Street Books is a fantastic and oh-so-generous children's bookstore where I met up with my Class of 2K12ers A.C. Gaughen, Kimberly Sabatini, Lynda Mullaly Hunt and Sarah Tregay (whom I finally met in person for the first time!) and we had a lively crowd asking us all sorts of questions about breaking into the kidlit business.


My favorite question: What was the most important thing you learned from being a debut author?

My answer: Something that I had to learn before I got a book deal and then had to re-learn after: taking joy in the craft of writing. Write because you love it, because there are characters who are speaking to you, and a story you need to tell. There are many challenges on both sides of this path and if you can't love what you're doing for its own sake--it's hard for me to fathom how it might be worth it otherwise.

Tuesday: BEA!
I finally stepped foot into the giant expo. And within 5 minutes, I had found the Bloomsbury booth where I got to see this lovely display.


But even though attending BEA for the first time and actually seeing my book in prominent display there was a definite highlight of the week, it actually wasn't my very favorite part of Tuesday.

My very favorite part: the massive Apocalypsies event organized by my fellow debut author Lenore Appelhans. Lenore had come up with this brilliant idea to create these gorgeous, four-page "dance cards" which the attendees of the event would attempt to get signed by all of us. The catch...we were stationed all around the room and it required a bit of exploring to get to us all (Goldenrod would have been very pleased).

A total collector's item! I'm saving all my autographs.
I got to meet so many amazing book bloggers and librarians because of this. It was a blast and a privilege.

AND...I got to meet about 20 Apocalypsies that I've spent the better part of last year chatting to in person!

Here we are:

A lot of these wonderful ladies are responsible for keeping me sane over the past year.

Wednesday: Tenth Rail
Wednesday was a much-needed hangout day with my Class of 2K12ers Megan Bostic, A.C. Gaughen, Kimberly Sabatini, Lynda Mullaly Hunt and Sarah Tregay.


We also got to give away some awesome raffles.

Thursday: Books of Wonder
Five events in five days ended at my favorite bookstore, the inimitable Books of Wonder, where I got to be a part of a debut authors panel with my fellow Class of 2K12ers Lynda Mullaly Hunt, Megan Bostic, A.C. Gaughen and Sarah Tregay along with debut authors Rebecca Serle, Huntley Fitzpatrick, Meredith Zeitlin and Mary Thompson.


Since I won't be doing any in-person events for awhile, if you've missed me and would like a signed copy of The Mapmaker and the Ghost, please consider buying one directly from Books of Wonder right here!

Have I mentioned that I love them?

Friday: Vacation!
I spent four glorious days at a beach house where I did little else besides reading, eating and hanging out with friends.


The perfect endcap to a perfect week!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh--cool! It's so fun watching this process/experience/whatever along with you! I'm glad I Tweet-met you when I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mikel! I'm glad we tweet-met too, of course. :-)

      Delete
  2. The dance card is terrific. Congrats on all the author events. It must have been fun meeting up with so many 2K12ers and Apocalypsies. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun! The dance card was ingenious. I bow down to Lenore's brilliance.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your experiences as a debut author. It's exciting and enlightening to hear about these type of events.

    p.s. I just purchased your book and my daughter has started reading it!

    ReplyDelete