Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaNoWriMo --> NaNoRevMo?

As you may know, November is National Novel Writing Month, often shortened as NaNoWriMo. It's when a lot of writers pledge to get their novels completed by the time November 30th rolls around. If you follow a lot of writers on Twitter, expect to see word count tweets galore!

I know a lot of writers have had success with this. I even recall Stephanie Perkins writing in her acknowledgments that she finished the first draft of Anna and the French Kiss because of NaNoWriMo.

I've actually never attempted NaNoWriMo before but, as it so happens, the timing worked out that I'm just about to embark on edits on a manuscript I wrote earlier this year.

So I decided: I think instead of NaNoWriMo, I'm going to spend the month of November trying to get all my edits done. NaNoWriMo will TRANSFORM...into NaNoRevMo. (Originally, I was going to go with NaNoEdMo, but I think NaNoRevMo sounds much more Transformer-like, don't you?)

I fully admit that revisions are much easier for me than writing first drafts, so I know I'm not going to to be doing anything near as impressive as an 50K word count in 30 days. But I do have some extensive editing work to do and I think having the month-long goal will help spur me along!

Anyone else partaking in NaNoWriMo this month or, like me, in NaNoRevMo? Has anyone done it in the past and perhaps has some advice or wisdom to share?

5 comments:

  1. I love "RevMo" and may steal that for my blog post on Thursday. I'll credit you of course :). Hopefully we can encourage each other to rev it up this month. My first day was daunting (haven't cracked this WIP since August and it needs lots of work) but I have super high hopes for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steal away! I'm totally all about spurring each other on. I admit, my first day back was also a little scary. But I'm trying to keep calm and carry on, as they say. P.S. Writing is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here! I seriously need to edit my book, maybe that should be my goal? Thanks for the insight!

    Brittany Roshelle

    The Write Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did Nanowrimo once last year and indeed wrote that many words in 30 days. This time around I'm finding it more difficult to do for many many reasons so, in the end I'm just celebrating any new word written. :)

    ReplyDelete