Tuesday, November 29, 2011

'Tis the Season!

Last year, I had the opportunity to be a mentor for Girls Write Now.

Girls Write Now is a New York City-based organization which pairs a professional female writer with a teen writer from an underserved public school. Each week, mentors and mentees meet up for an hour-long one-on-one session while 6 times throughout the school year, the group gets together for genre workshops ranging in everything from fiction and journalism to memoir and sketch comedy.

It was one of the most amazingly supportive, creatively intense, ideologically pure programs I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of. I got to experience firsthand some of the most exciting and powerful new voices and I know for a fact that my mentee, Sharline, made me a better writer by pushing me with her commitment to excellence (and she really was excellent).

The organization has been going strong for 13 years and has even been recognized by the White House. This year, GWN's holiday drive is trying to raise $80,000 to continue their award-winning program.

Since writing and teens are two subjects near and dear to our hearts, we at the Class of 2K12 have pledged to help! We're trying to raise $300 for GWN through our First Giving page and I'd like to ask you to consider giving $10-$20 to this extremely worthy cause. You can donate securely and easily here.

Thank you!! And even if you aren't able to give, I recommend you check out Girls Write Now's site. It's sure to bring you some inspiration and holiday cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment