Monday, February 27, 2012

Apropos of Nothing: My Favorite Fashions from the 2012 Oscars

I know what the title of this blog post says, but I'll be the first to tell you that I really have no business talking about fashion. My younger sister is the fashion maven of our family: she looks spectacular about 99.9% of the time. I don't look like a scrub about 2% of the time.

That being said, I loooooove the Oscars. (And I love watching them at home, in my pajamas, with a tub of ice cream. Don't judge). And, like most Oscar viewers, I love seeing the fashions.

So, for no reason at all, here are my top three favorite "looks" of the evening.

#3: Kristen Wiig
I love the color, the shape, and the combination of ruffles at the bottom and gorgeous pleating at the top. I also thought her understated make-up really made the look: elegant and dreamy.

#2: Viola Davis
This is one of those occasions where I probably wouldn't love the dress on its own, but on her it was beyond stunning -- especially when paired with her fantastic hair and makeup. A showstopper.

#1: Michelle Williams

My absolute favorite look of the night. The color and shape are indescribably pretty. But I think it's that little vintage brooch on her hip that totally makes it for me. (I may not be a fashionista...but accessorizing is a whole other matter, especially when it comes to jewelry). I also adored her simple but stunning necklace.

And, as far as the men were concerned, this was amazing:

Christopher Plummer has had my heart ever since he blew that silly whistle at a certain nun turned governess. Really, could he look more dapper? (I thoroughly dropped hints at my fiance about this look for the wedding).

What were your favorite looks of the night? And what was your ice cream flavor? (Naturally, I assume everyone has the exact same traditions as me.) Mine was Haagen-Dazs Caramel Cone. It was yummy.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm absolutely in love with Michelle Williams' dress! Also thought Penelope Cruz's was totally awesome.
    And no ice cream here, but I did have some cheese and chocolate fondue and wine with friends. Yum! Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penelope Cruz and Natalie Portman were my two favorites. I thought Natalie Portman looked drop dead gorgeous.

    There were also a surprising number of dresses I thought were really ugly this year. But I'll be nice and not get into specifics here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but velvet tuxedo jacket? That is pure win!

      Delete
    2. Oh, go on then. Which outfits did you hate? I think Berenice Bejo's dress was one of my least favorites of the night.

      Delete
  3. Michelle's BFF Busy Phillips was looking great, too -- quite the pair. Almost makes me want to go back and see what I missed with Dawson's Creek. And Emma Stone is so cute it freaks me out.

    Worst: Gwyneth Paltrow. I couldn't tell if she was emerging from a cocoon, or settling into it. And why didn't she bother to do her hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually disappointed in Emma's dress. Not my favorite look for her because of the bow. And, on the contrary, I loved Gwyneth's look. I think she pulled off the edgier cape because she was so simple with everything else (dress, hair, make-up). Plus the cape came off once she was inside.

      Delete
  4. I'm a little surprised about the Viola Davis pick - I didn't realize you loved it that much! But either way, I'm in 100% agreement on the Captain von Trapp sentiment.

    ReplyDelete