Monday, April 23, 2012

To My Book, On the Eve of Its Birthday

Dear Book,

It's hard to believe that it was over 5 years ago that I woke up from a dream about a girl named Goldenrod Moram (I know, how very Stephenie Meyer of me). There she was: spunky, spirited, annoyed with her name. I thought about her a lot that day.

I thought about her a lot over the next few months at a time when I thought it might be possible that my writing days were behind me. And yet, within a year, I had quit an important day job, signed up for a children's book writing class and started to write down Goldenrod's adventure in earnest.

And how that adventure has changed: from class feedback to SCBWI pitch sessions to real, honest-to-goodness editorial letters. We've been through a lot together, book. (About 27 drafts by my last count.)

And now it's time for you to make your way out into the world. You'll always be my story, of course. A story from my head and my heart. A story that was written in part to the kid I was and the books I loved. But now you're about to fulfill your book destiny; you are about to have readers. There'll be some who may like you, some who may not care for you, and some, even, who may love you. I hope you come across at least a few of those.

But before you go, I just want to say--from the bottom of my heart--thank you. It turns out you have been my great adventure, a fulfillment of a lifelong dream, and a rare and wondrous thing. I'm very grateful to you, book, for the past 5 years and I'm curious as to what the next 5 will hold. After all you taught me that, sometimes, it's very okay to be a dreamer.

Love,
Your author

26 comments:

  1. And to think, I was there for the initial spark!!! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw. Wow, 27 drafts. You before and after you sold your book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote about 24 drafts before I sold my book, and 3 after.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Sarv! And well done, Goldenrod. You two make quite a team, and I'm so happy this book will be out in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katy! I can't wait until it's Katherine Tilney's turn too.

      Delete
  4. Big congrats, Sarv! Can't wait to see The Mapmaker and the Ghost out in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! And it'll be Charlie's turn very soon too. Yay!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Hope you enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's almost here!!! Super congrats!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy every moment of this. You and your book are amazing and I am so proud, happy and excited for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely letter - congrats to you AND your book. You make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! You've been such an awesome cheerleader for the both of us and we really appreciate it.

      Delete
  9. So excited for you!! Long live Goldenrod. Your book is fantastic and I'm jealous of those who'll be reading it for the first time tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sarah! That's an awesome thing to say. :-)

      Delete
  10. I can't believe it's your Book Birthday Eve! Will you sleep tonight? I can't wait to see what your next 5 years hold too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww..thanks, Tiffany! Sleep? Probably not! But I am going to take some Benadryl and hope for the best.

      Delete
  11. Aw, Sarv, it's finally here! And I just received an ARC in the mail! I can't wait to dive in. Have a spectacular release day tomorrow, and congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This = <3 <3. I'm so excited for you. Only a few hours left until your RELEASE DAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brandy. You probably don't believe me, but it's going to be your turn SO SOON.

      Delete
  13. Hooray for Goldenrod! Hooray for you, Sarvenaz! Can't wait to read your book. =)

    ReplyDelete