Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Swag: A Sneak Peek

It was a busy weekend. The final Harry Potter movie came out (and was attended with great excitement/sadness, of course) and two of my closest friends had their 30th birthday parties on Saturday and Sunday. During a few down hours somewhere along there, I decided to start thinking about some book "swag."

Swag are promotional items that are given out usually at signings, blog giveaways or other events: things like branded bookmarks, pens, buttons, etc. I've seen some really creative book swag recently. Gretchen McNeil had temporary tattoos made of the charm bracelet that her main character wears in her book, Possess. Bree Despain had branded nail polish that matched her book's (The Dark Divine) cover.

At the moment, there are two types of swag I'm thinking about getting. One are some fun map-related bookmarks. And the other are sticker books. Just because I spent all weekend working on it, here is a preview of one of the stickers. (There are five more designs.)


What do you think? I should be getting my order in a couple of weeks and am definitely looking forward to seeing how they turned out.

I'm still brainstorming other fun/creative items though. So if you have any suggestions--things you've seen that you've really liked or just your own original idea that you're willing to part with--please let me know in the comments section!

10 comments:

  1. The bookmarks will be the most useful.
    BUT the stickers sound the most unique.

    Kimberly Derting is the Queen of Swag. She does posters, bracelets, stickers, bookmarks, etc.

    I'm excited to see what *yours* turns out like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a map? It could be printed in black on parchment-like paper with hand drawn illustrations, possibly even a hidden object that would allow internet access to, I don't know, a personal message from the ghost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sticker - your artist did such an amazing job, I see why you are using it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys.

    @Brent, thanks for pointing me to Kimberly Derting! Checking out her blog now and you're right: she has great stuff.

    @Suzanne, I think we think *very* much alike! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think posters would be really popular, mini buttons, and maybe a key chain or a backpack charm.

    I agree Kim Derting has the best swag and I love her books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh...backpack charms! I never even thought of that. Thanks, Cari!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love the bookmarks but I'm not your target market lol. My daughter who is 8 loves the temp tattoos though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only swag I ever use or ever keep for a long period of time is book markers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boyfriend spends his free time in a sleeping bag shaped like a tauntaun (think star wars ep. 5) that his MOM bought him

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our readers love swag! Actually, what book addict doesn't? Band bracelet, pens, you name it. I love the idea of polish and tattoos. How original. For your audience sticker books are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete