Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Geek-Off, Part Deux!

It's time for the second official Geek-Off! Why? Because I said so...

Actually, it's because I have a geektastic new toy to show off and I figured why should I have all the fun?

In case you need a recap, the first ever Geek-Off involved a challenge: one that asked you to put your geekiest item or story up against the crest of Gryffindor which is painted on my fireplace. I collected your entries and then put them to a vote. The results were astonishing, delightful and highly geeky. You can see the entries here and the results here. (Yup, having the bat symbol engraved on your wedding ring pretty much makes you a winner of the Geek-Off and of life, in my opinion).

So...it's time for round two! Give me your geekiest object, story or experience. The only rule is that it can't be the same as anything you submitted for the first Geek-Off!

Behold my entry. It comes with a story (naturally).

On Friday, when I was standing in an almost-3-hour line for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2, and feeling rather blue about it being the final movie, my boyfriend decided to cheer me up. He decided to do so by buying me a present from the store across the street. The store across the street was Forbidden Planet. And he emerged with THIS:

I'm using it to lock the door.
That is a sonic screwdriver. It's specifically the 10th doctor's (my favorite) sonic screwdriver. And it makes the sonic screwdriver noise, expands, and doubles as both a regular pen and a spy pen. That means I can write secret messages that can only be read by the light of the sonic screwdriver.

Like so:



Looks like an ordinary piece of paper? HA! It is actually a TOP SECRET message written by my friend, Jenny, which I have expertly decoded. With my sonic screwdriver pen. (She has one too, obviously. We geeks tend to flock together).

SO...hit me with your best shot, geeks! Leave me your entries in the comments section or tweet them to me. On Friday, we'll take another vote and the winner will receive:

This highly coveted Geek mug designed by yours truly.

Geek On!

10 comments:

  1. I am a closet geek so I'll only admit to a long twitter conversation with agency mates on the symbolism of Captain Picard's alternate life in the episode, "The Inner Light."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing that comes to mind is my super awesome copy of GeekTastic signed by: Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, Hope Larson, David Levithan, Cynthia and Greg Leitich Smith, Sara Zarr, and Scott Westerfield

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, give me a chance! I want to give you a picture this time, but I'm in the middle of a rewrite, although...wait a minute...only two more minutes until my self-imposed end of rewrites for the day. *sigh* OK, I'll tell you now, and see if I can get a picture to you REAL soon.

    I (we, my kids and I) have two, count them, TWO Harry Potter games: Harry Potter UNO and Harry Potter Clue. What do you think of that? PLUS, I have a small blue sack that says Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans on it. I fill it with Jelly Bellies and carry it in my purse along with my Sonic Screwdriver.

    I dare ANYONE to beat that geekiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I was going to tell the geeky story of the secret notes exchanged with one of my best friends decoded only by our glorious sonic screwdrivers, but alas! That story has already been taken.

    So I will go to another geeky moment of glory. I went with two good friends to see Harry Potter 7 Part 1 in the movie theater about a month after it came out. As the end credits were rolling, my two friends (who are Harry Potter fans) were asking me (superfan) questions. There was an older man sitting behind us and upon hearing our discussion politely tapped me on the shoulder and said "Excuse me, but you seem like an expert. Perhaps you could answer some of my questions." And I proceeded to chat with him for fifteen minutes or so before his wife and son came over and dragged him away. And thus I found even strangers recognize the geeky glory that is me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Suzanne Lucero - I think I can beat you on the Harry Potter game front - I have Lego Harry Potter for the Wii, an actual physical lego Harry Potter Hogwarts set/game, Harry Potter SceneIt and Harry Potter Clue. I think that's all...so far at least :-)

    I am jealous of your Bertie Botts bag though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year, I went to the movies 52 times AND also watched another 52 movies at home that I never saw before. Then I blogged about the whole thing here: tuesdaynightmovies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Jenny! ISO want your Harry Potter Wii!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My boyfriend spends his free time in a sleeping bag shaped like a tauntaun (think star wars ep. 5) that his MOM bought him

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am anxiously awaiting my Sunday viewing of HPatDH2. In geekified anticipation (and because I'm stuck on the couch after knee surgery), I created "potter bucks."

    And, as I am sure you all know, the dollar amount shown is equal to approximately one galleon.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/euricguerrero/PotterBucks?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKGU0t-rkMzt0wE&feat=directlink

    ReplyDelete