Thursday, May 10, 2012

SLJ Reviews Mapmaker: 'Page-Turning Adventure'

A few months ago, I received my very first print review from Library Media Connection. (It was a good one).

And now, I just received my very second...from School Library Journal. Without further ado...

Gr 3-6—When her best friend moves away, 11-year-old Goldenrod Moram tries to think of a project that will keep her busy during the long summer before school starts. She loves looking at and making maps and she idolizes Lewis and Clark. She decides to create a map of her town and convinces her mother to let her explore beyond the one-mile radius that has been her unsupervised exploring limit. She beings by setting out to map the forest area at the edge of town. Along the way, she has a series of adventures that include a mysterious old woman who send her on a magical search, a gang of colorful would-be thieves, and most surprisingly, an encounter with the ghost of Meriwether Lewis, who makes his own demands on her time. In this debut novel, Tash has created a memorable cast of characters and a story that combines both humor and suspense. Goldenrod is on a mission, and nothing will deter this determined girl. When the Gross Out Gang captures her curious little brother, just enough danger is created to keep readers in suspense. Children are sure to enjoy this combination of an intrepid heroine, some slightly disreputable characters with humorous and disgusting habits, and a ghost in need of assistance. This page-turning adventure will tickle readers’ funny bones. –Carole Phillips, Greenacres Elementary School, Scarsdale, NY

I love librarians!!

Really, though, I genuinely do. They are truly one of the biggest gatekeepers for us MG authors who are trying to get our books into the hands of kids. I'm beyond thrilled that Mapmaker seems to be resonating with them.

Hooray! Sparkle confetti for all!
 

4 comments:

  1. Super congrats on another great review!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful and well-deserved review. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humorous and disgusting habits? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This review and the awesome cover of your book have me sold! I can't wait to get my hands on it and will probably have to fight my eight year old daughter to get to read it first.

    ReplyDelete