Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Books: The Theme Park

I love Harry Potter. If you know me in real life - and chances are if you're on this blog, you do - this should come as no great surprise.

Ever since I've known about it, I've been really excited to visit The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. That's the theme park in Orlando, Florida where they recreate Hogsmeade and Hogwarts in all their cobblestoney, castley glory, and throw in some thrilling rides for good measure.

The night before two of my best friends - also huge Harry Potter fans - and I were finally to go to the park for the first time, it dawned on me what was about to happen. I was about to live out an extraordinary fantasy: being able to step into one of my favorite books.

And then I started thinking, what if I could step into real-life versions of some of my other very favorite reads? Here's what I imagine some of them would be like:

The Regency World of Pride and Prejudice
Main ride: Elizabeth Bennet's Emotional Roller Coaster of Love
Available snackfoods: Lady Catherine de Burgers
Merchandising tie-in: Perma-wet white button-downs

Lord of the Flies Adventure
Main ride: This Little Piggy Went to HELL
Available snackfoods: Pigs on a stick
Merchandising tie-in: Plastic conch shells, available in 18 power-hungry colors, now including glow-in-the-dark!

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegasland
Main ride: Dr. Gonzo's Mad Motorcycle Racetrack
Available snackfoods: Pixie Sticks rebranded as Psychedelic Desert Sands of Happiness
Merchandising tie-in: Pretty, pretty acid tabs

The Quest of the Secret Garden
Main ride: Master Colin's Tantrum of Terror
Available snackfoods: Fresh garden salads
Merchandising tie-in: Mood-altering vials of fresh air

The Journey of the Baby-Sitter's Club
Main ride: Kristy's Great Idea: A Journey Through the Mind of an American Icon
Available snackfoods: Claudia's Closet Stash
Merchandising tie-in: Kid Kits, 'nuff said

Katie, me and Jenny at Hogwarts. But that could very well be Pemberley behind us. Or Stoneybrook, CT.

P.S. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is 100% excellent. If you're a fan, I can't recommend it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment