Friday, February 11, 2011

I WIP My Book Back and Forth

Like any other business, publishing comes with its own set of terms. Some of which I know - like querying, that painful process where you have to describe yourself and your project in two perfect, glittering paragraphs to a prospective agent or editor. But there are many terms I'm still learning about. Like a few days ago, I came across WIP.

WIP stands for work-in-progress, and its something (as I mentioned before) I have a lot of. In fact, it's hard for me to consider anything I write NOT a WIP.

I found out about WIPs through another debut writer's blog my editor sent me when I told her I was starting this one. Once I saw the word WIP and starting clicking around, I noticed that a lot of writers use it.

The only problem is, the Internet has yet been unable to tell me how to pronounce it. It's an acronym, so do you pronounce each letter: W-I-P? Or do you pronounce it as one word: wip.

I gotta be honest with you. I don't know if I can go around talking about my wips without conjuring up an image of me running away from a giant boulder and bickering with Sean Connery. Though I suppose there could be worse things. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm now going to be calling it wip no matter how you really pronounce it. Wait for me, Indy!

(Out of curiosity's sake though, does anyone know how to actually pronounce this elusive word? Help me out in the comments section if you do!)

1 comment:

  1. We have WIP meetings at work all the time. Now granted I live in a country where acronyms are even more abundant than eucalyptus, and thus ingrained into every day speech, and generally pronounced as if they're real words. So yeah, we say it like "whip." No idea what you crazy Americans call it ;-)

    ReplyDelete