Monday, February 28, 2011

Whoaaaa, Looks Like We Made It

I've pretty much maintained that I've always, always wanted to be a writer ever since the phrase "what do you want to be when you grow up" came into my life and consciousness.

I think it's time to confess that is not entirely true. The fact is there was a year in my life, the third grade to be exact, where I desperately wanted to be something else.

I wanted to be...a member of Kids Incorporated.

Unless you grew up during a very specific few years in the 80s and had the Disney Channel, you might not know who Kids Incorporated are. Let me explain.

Kids Incorporated was a TV show, sorta in the vein of Hannah Montana/Glee, about a bunch of regular kids who were in a band. Every night they took over the cafe they hung out in and rocked out. The show starred a very young Jennifer Love Hewitt and Fergie from Black Eyed Peas, then simply known as Stacey Ferguson. Stacey was my favorite. Clearly, I had an eye for talent.

Or I can just show you this:

They are rocking out AND stopping pollution...who doesn't want to be a part of that?!

The funny thing is, I didn't really, really want to be on the show, Kids Incorporated. I really, really wanted to be part of the band, Kids Incorporated. Now, by this time, I already had a vague conceit that this was part of a produced TV show. That these kids had scripts and takes and cameras and that none of what was on my television screen was real.

I didn't care. I just really hoped the universe would find a way to make it happen.

I don't think any of this is terribly original. Most people want to be rock stars, right? In fact, just last week, I read an interview with author/singer/songwriter Wesley Stace which featured this gem of a quote: "Most writers seems to want to be rock stars and most rock stars are desperate to be taken seriously."

Er...yeah, okay. That's true.

I started taking guitar lessons a couple of years ago. Every month, my guitar school has a student showcase at a local bar. Every month, my teacher has asked me if I want to do it and I've always said no. But the truth is, I would really, really like to get up there and - for a second - imagine I got my third grade wish.

So this year, although I have horrible, crippling stage fright, I've kinda promised myself I will. I'll keep you posted as to if that ever happens. And by that I, of course, mean I will tell you after if I ever decide to do it. No one I know can be in the audience for this.

Unless Fergie somehow reads this blog and decides to come cheer me on.

Don't even tell me you don't want to own that headband for I will call you a liar, sir.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes -- I remember Kids Incorporated quite well. Wasn't Martika on it??

    I also watched MMC in 1989, the seasons way before Britney, Justin and Christina. All my favorite mousketeers seem to have disappeared, never to be heard from again. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! MMC was my other big favorite. Do you by any chance remember their band, The Party? I loved them and often wonder what happened to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean Damon, Tiffini, Albert, Deedee and Chase???? WHY YES, hahaha. Wow. We need to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UM...yes, yes we do. You are one of two other people I've ever spoken to who knows who The Party is. This is EPIC.

    ReplyDelete